Pair of Regency Mahogany Library Armchairs Attributed to Gillows
A fine quality Pair of Regency Mahogany and Brass Library Armchairs attributed to Gillows of Lancaster, with shaped scrolled barrel backs, sweeping arms and cushion seats. Ring turned legs to the fore and sabre legs to the rear, all terminating on wonderful solid brass castors, panelled seat rails and leaf carved supports to the armrests. Newly reupholstered in a soft and supple red leather with brass stud detail.
H:36.25” / 92cm x W: 27.5” / 70cm x D: 30.75” / 78cm
Attribution: The lyre fronted Library Chair is a known Gillows pattern and featured in a number of homes they furnished during the Regency Period including Mere Hall and Hackwood Park. See Hackwood Sale Catalogue, Christie’s April 20-22 1998, Lot 55 for an almost identical pair supplied to William Powlett, 2nd. Baron Bolton for Hackwood, in May 1813 by Gillows.
See also Christie’s sale Mere Hall, Knutsford Cheshire 23rd. May 1994, Lot 32 and lot 197.
Delivery in the UK mainland is included in the marked price.